Monday, March 16, 2009

Preposthumous Poetry And Stuffz: Work #13

"Baseball On The Sunrise Strip"




A poem I wrote last year, "Baseball on the Sunrise Strip" never left my hands. It was four stanzas, three of which sucked rocks, about a nightclub/baseball/bullshit metaphor. The one stanza was what I was going for, but the slosh to get there was not something I felt great about. I trimmed it up for this, changed some tense, pieced it into a tight six lines.

Searching for music, I settled on a tune by Mississippi John Hurt called Nobody's Dirty Business. Recorded in 1928, it falls under a public domain license. The subject matter of the song is very cold and interesting. Mixed with the subject matter of the poem, it doesn't immediately mesh well, but possibly adds an extra texture of what went sour in the "protagonist's" view. It may be used again and soon. Maybe like in the next month for one of my personal favorites of the dead poems.

The film footage is a public domain video of Army Nurses filmed in 1945 by the Armed Forces. Good stuff. I found it here: http://www.archive.org/index.php

The baseball picture is mine.

My theme is Telemann's Sonata for 2 violins, MVMNT. 3 released under CC 2.0 by MIT.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IzDhdJljgxU

Go Royals!

No comments:

Support A Starving Asshole