Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Sweeney And Loyalty Oaths




A nice story about Mike Sweeney came across the wire tonight:

...

The ties are still strong. When Sweeney came onto the field, the first guy he hugged was Billy Butler, the kid who took over Sweeney's designated hitter job. With that, the Sweeney hug-fest with his ex-teammates was on.

He wore No. 5 instead of his old 29, which already was assigned to pitcher Keith Foulke. So he chose 5 for his boyhood idol, the Angels' Brian Downing, and his manhood idol, George Brett.

"I always loved Brian Downing growing up, and then obviously becoming close with George the last decade or two in Kansas City," he said. "It's an honor to wear the number."

Sweeney went through pregame stretching with the A's, happily gabbing with No. 4, ex-Royals teammate Emil Brown, and No. 3, Eric Chavez.

He spotted Brett and two of his sons near the Royals dugout -- more hugs and handshakes. Justin Huber, who was hitting .400 with slim prospects of making the KC roster, got some encouraging words.

"I really miss the guys," Sweeney said. "I was talking to [Mark] Teahen today, and I said, 'How's it going over there?' He said, 'Oh, it's going great, but sometimes I'll look around and want to get some advice from you, and you're not around.'

"I looked him in the eye and I said, 'Well, you know what that means -- it's your time to lead.'"

The Royals kidded Sweeney about his A's white shoes.

"They make me faster," he said with a grin. "I've already got a bag [stolen base]."

...


If I had my way there would be a Major League team made up of 25 Mike Sweeneys. The dude's all about class and embodies what baseball should be about. Okay, so their pitching may suffer, but there wouldn't be (should I say, shouldn't be) an empty seat in the stadium.

It's too bad he's with Oakland, though. I'm a Royals fan first and foremost, a Padres fan second, and when they aren't pissing all over me (Cliff Floyd, Preston Wilson, Luis Castillo, Pudge (for the short time, especially since they weren't willing to pay him the same salary over four years that he was already making--thus leading him to the wretched Tigers) among others the hate is blocking) a Florida Marlins fan third.

I don't mind Oakland too much--other than the fact that they had a Braves-like pitching core that they let go like a child with her first helium balloon. Not to mention they helped Houston steal away Beltran. There's a little hope left from that trade, but it ain't Beltran, yet. Teahen is good, Buck, ehh..., Mike Wood?

Then again, I think the A's got the worst of that trade.

I don't know... I guess if he can make the roster, I can come around. He's still one of the good guys after all. Go, Mike.




No comments:

Support A Starving Asshole